Saturday, March 20, 2021

 ROAD TO ANYWHERE


I am sitting on the platform and watch the trains pass without stopping. I do not know where 

 

they come from and I do not know where they are going either.

 

Or maybe they appear and disappear like fantasies. I have no idea what fantasies are and I 

 

don't think I want to know it, either.

 

When I see the railroad tracks, I think of the train as a pet tied up and walked on a leash, 

 

taken out of the apartment to move a little and do its needs.

 

I take the ladder and lean it against the faded wall of the building, soak the brush into the 

 

bucket of paint, and, with timid imagination, I name this station. A name made of white paint 

 

as large as it can be easily seen.

 

Not too long after that, a train with a single passenger wagon stops at the station. There is no 

 

a sign indicating the route of this train.

 

I somehow manage to get on the locomotive even as the train starts moving. It follows a 

 

previously established route, it follows the design of the railway tracks in a disciplined and 

 

rigorous way.

 

This train is captive between metal lines like a bird closed in an aviary. It needs freedom, 

 

infinite freedom because the essence of fulfilling the path is the miracle that overwhelms each 

 

of us.

 

I look up to the sky. I touch a star, stroke it with my hand, but when I want to taste it with my 

 

tongue, the star tastes me.

 

From there, from the greatness of infinity, I make the railway tracks disappear and I release 

 

all the trains from the depot sheds of the world.


#read #fiction #shortstory

 



No comments:

Post a Comment